Tuesday, January 10, 2017

One Day at a Time, 2017

Growing up in Miami Beach in the 1980s, I was a TV junkie. I remember sitting in front of our HUGE TV set that would require at least three people to move when it came to clean the floor.

Anyway, one of my go-to shows on CBS was One Day at a Time. I looked forward to the bubbly feel-good theme song This Is It and a look at the daily lives of a single mom and her teen daughters.

Usually, there was a happy ending. The show ran from 1975 to 1984.  I also remember it was losing creative steam when it married off Barbara (Valerie Bertinelli to a dentist).

So I was surprised to learn that Netflix was rebooting the show but with a Cuban-American family. And like the original, the theme song remains but it's been updated as well, thanks to Gloria Estefan who brings a fast Latin beat to the theme.  This is a long way of saying that I wrote an article about the new show and how it's familiar and yet different.

Todd Grinnell, who plays the new Schneider, with Rita Moreno who plays Lydia, the Cuban grandmother.

Both actors steal their scenes especially when Grinnell is shirtless.






















No comments:

Post a Comment