Wednesday, January 17, 2018

My Top stories of 2017


Here's a look at some of my favorite and more fun articles that I produced for the Sun Sentinel in 2017. (Except for the Sun Sentinel barber photo, I shot all the others with handy smart phone.)

Shipping container homes: This is a thing down here in South Florida. People are buying former shipping containers, refurbishing them and making them into homes and AirBnB rentals. 



Miami Marlins barber: The Miami baseball team has its own in-house barber. That's Hugo "Juice" Tandron who trims players' hair (and those of the opposing team) for home games at Marlins Park.



The Assassination of Gianni Versace: Crews from the Ryan Murphy F/X production descended on Miami Beach to recapture 1997 when Gianni Versace was slain in broad daylight. I got to hang out on set on Ocean Drive which looked like 1997 with in-line skaters and trucks and convertibles from that time.



The Caretaker: My Versace film coverage led to an interview with Fernando Carreira, the elderly caretaker who stumbled upon Andrew Cunanan hiding in a Miami Beach houseboat. Carreira still lives in South Beach, in a studio with walls covered with news articles about the capture.



The return of Que Pasa, USA?: The popular 1970s PBS sitcom about a Cuban family in Miami is coming back as a stage production. I grew up watching this show with my family. At the press conference in November, I got to meet two of the show's supporting characters, Connie Ramirez (pictured below) who played Violeta and Barbara Ann Martin who played Sharon who are returning for the new production.






No comments:

Post a Comment